CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, May 22, 2009

Cook Yourself Thin: Turkey Mini-Meatloves

I cannot say enough about this yummy recipe! Josh and I were blown away by the flavor and have given up on normal meatloaf after trying this. The best part is that each meatloaf is only 227 calories (and over a quarter pound, so it's very filling).

Cook Yourself Thin has quickly become one of my favorite shows, and I'm going to post this recipe as they presented it (although I did make a few changes that I'll note at the bottom of the page).

Turkey Mini-Meatloves

For the meatloaves
1 slice whole-wheat bread
1/2 cup skim milk
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
1 onion, diced
5-ounce bag baby spinach leaves
1 1/4 pounds ground turkey
2 tablespoons finely grated Parmesan
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg

For the glaze
3 tablespoons ketchup
2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon hot sauce


1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Grind the bread in a food processor until fine crumbs form. Transfer to a large bowl, and pour milk over crumbs.
3. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large skillet, preferably nonstick, over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and golden, about 5 minutes. Add spinach, and stir until just wilted. Transfer to bowl with soaked crumbs. Add the turkey, cheese, egg, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Combine the mixture with your hands until well mixed; it will be quite wet.
4. Pack 1 cup of the mixture into a 1-cup dry measuring cup. Invert the cup onto a rimmed baking sheet, gently shaking the cup to release the mixture. Gently pat the mound to smooth its shape. Repeat three times with remaining mixture. Bake mini meatloaves until cooked through and golden, about 40 minutes.
5. While the meatloaves are cooking, make the glaze: In a small bowl combine the ketchup, Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce. Brush over meatloaves before serving.

*Kim's changes: I didn't use oil when I made this. Just a little cooking spray in the pan with the onions and on the cookie sheet that I baked the meatloaves on. I cut the amount of hot sauce in half since my husband doesn't like a lot of spice, but I think that next time I'll just leave it out entirely. I also didn't use the milk because I spaced it and forgot to throw it in, but they still turned out amazing and moist.

Happy Cooking!

No comments: